Wednesday, February 20, 2008

EXIT, STAGE RIGHT...

Confirming what I have seen on the ground for the past year, the Rocky Mountain News reported this week that the Californians are coming… in droves!

Over 16% of all in-state migration in 2007 came from California, making it the largest exporter of residents into Colorado by nearly a 2 to 1 margin. Texas ranked second (9%) and Arizona was third with 5.3%.

In a previous post, I cited a University of Colorado report that showed 2007 to be the first time since 2001 that new-resident migration (over 60,000) outpaced new births (about 44,000) in terms of Colorado’s population growth.

So if California exported over 10,000 residents to Colorado last year, what will the number be this year? 12,000? 13,000?

Having gone through this move myself just two years ago, I have some expertise on the subject. And I expect this trend to continue for a while.