Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Monday, August 25, 2008
There is a mix of tension and energy around this event that’s palpable. It’s been exactly 100 years since Denver hosted a major political convention. In 1908, Democrats nominated William Jennings Bryan, who would later lose in the general election to William Howard Taft, the hand-picked successor of Theodore Roosevelt.
Mayor John Hickenlooper has pledged that this will be “the greenest convention in the history of the planet”. That means lots of organic foods, recycling crews working downtown 24/7 and 1,000 bicycles freely available to the delegates for their use throughout the week.
It’s interesting to see the mayor driving for a green convention when Hickenlooper himself was drawn here by the oil industry, arriving in 1981 as a geologist during a time when our energy sector was booming. “We were like lemmings,” he said in a recent interview with the Denver Post. But when oil crashed in the mid 80s, he did what Denver itself has done successfully many times over – he reinvented himself and emerged from adversity even stronger.
Hickenlooper opened a saloon – the Wynkoop Brewing Company – which today stands at the center of the revitalized LoDo (“Lower Downtown”) district. His popularity and influence in reviving LoDo helped him to become elected mayor in 2003, and he was re-elected last year.
Rugged, diverse, resilient and beautiful… that’s the Colorado I love, and the one I hope America sees as it tunes in this week.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Friday, August 22, 2008
"If you can't, you MUST!"
“There are NO failures… only outcomes.”
"The quality of your life boils down to one thing... the quality of your communication with yourself."
"There is no change without commitment."
From Thomas Edison:
‘The trouble with most people is that they quit before they start.”
From Brian Buffini:
"Everything you do must be an endorsement of either your character or your competence."
Thursday, August 21, 2008
• “Is investing risky? The greater risk is NOT to invest!”
• “Each day, you must decide who will prevail in that inner battle between the wimp and the warrior”.
• “Wealth is measured in time, not money.”
From Henry Ford:
• “Whether you believe you can or believe you can’t, you’re right!”
From Robert Allen:
• “Success happens when your dreams finally overcome your fears.”
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
• “Evolution is the systematic correction of errors.”
From Brian Tracy:
• “Comfort zones are the enemy of human potential.”
From Kwame Granderson:
• “Fear is what happens when you focus on the WRONG things.”
Monday, August 18, 2008
From Warren Buffet:
• “The difference between gambling and investing is... education.”
• “If you can’t control your emotions, you cannot control your money.”
• “It’s only when you tide goes out that you can tell who’s been swimming naked.”
From Michael Gerber:
• "The conflict between what we know and what we don’t know is called… growth.”
From Raymond Aaron:
• “The rich invite help… the poor resent it.”