Friday, November 27, 2009

HOW TO GET WELL-PRICED FORECLOSURES UNDER CONTRACT IN A RED HOT MARKET

A few months back I shared some tips in this space about how to get well-priced, structurally sound foreclosures under contract quickly when the marketplace is teeming with buyers and bidding wars are increasingly common.

The photo to the left is dark and a little hard to make out because it was taken at 6:05 a.m. last Tuesday morning.

As in, I showed this property (which went into the MLS late Monday afternoon) at 6:05 a.m. last Tuesday morning, wrote the contract at 8 and had it under contract before noon.

By Tuesday night, the listing agent tells me she received six additional offers, many of which were no doubt higher than the offer we submitted.

We have completed inspections, the appraisal is done (the home appraised about 7% above our offer price) and we are on track to close in three weeks. Plus my buyers are getting a 30-year fixed rate at 5% and an $8,000 tax credit. Sound like a good deal??

The point is... you can complain about the market (or your job, or the government, or anything else, for that matter) or you can choose to get up a little earlier, work a little harder and go the extra mile to get the results you want.

I do not want to leave my house at 5:30 in the morning to show property... but I will.

Will your agent do the same?