Monday, June 29, 2009

MASTERING WHAT IS POSSIBLE

The nature of sales involves risk, and sometimes rejection.

Sales are 100% commission-based, which means that there is high upside, and deep downside. Every single week, there are highs and lows in the world of sales. You have to get over it, and quickly.

I lost a listing last week… I never really had it, actually. I was simply in competition for it.

And being a (well-studied) student of the market, I came to my listing presentation prepared. I had both facts and compassion, but I did not bring a magic wand.

I lost a listing because I recommended listing the home at a saleable price, which (as it turns out) was about $15,000 below where the seller wanted to price it.

But please understand, a list price means nothing. The only price that matters in real estate is the price a ready, willing and able buyer will pay for a piece of property.

And it won’t be the number this property was listed at this morning.

I love referrals, and I love helping people. I believe the outcome you get is almost always directly tied to the quality of representation you receive.

So if I have listed your home at an artificially high and unrealistic price, am I serving you?

If I know in my heart it will take months to sell your home… that your property will get “stale” in the eyes of the market and it will eventually require multiple price cuts to move it… am I serving you?

If my intention in taking the listing is to know that I am going to have to “wait you out”… work you for multiple price reductions… pick up some sign and Internet calls and perhaps find a buyer for another, more reasonably priced piece of real estate along the way, am I serving you?

My job is not to get every listing I compete for… or to work with every buyer who is referred to me.

My job is to provide the information, service and negotiating skill to get the best possible price for my sellers, and to find the best possible home under the best possible terms for my buyers.

It hurts to lose a listing. That’s part of my job that I do not enjoy.

But if I am operating in the realm of what’s possible, and you are not, then it’s best that we don’t connect.