Sunday, December 21, 2008

FIVE THINGS I HAVE LEARNED (OR RELEARNED) IN 2008

I gave a presentation this past Tuesday before members of the Arvada Chamber of Commerce. My speech was entitled "FIVE THINGS I HAVE LEARNED (OR RELEARNED) IN 2008". And while the reality is we all learned many things in 2008, here are a few of the lessons that stand out to me:


1) YOU ARE THE PRODUCT

Quite simply, the philosophy I carry in my business is that every day, I am preparing myself for tomorrow. The truth is that people are going to buy and sell homes with or without me. It is my job to become a compelling product in the marketplace, offering skill, insights and experience that my outpaces my competition.

2) WHEN TIMES GET TOUGHER, YOU NEED TO GET BETTER

Jim Rohn says, "Don't wish that things were easier. Wish that you were better."

That's the challenge for all of us right now. Get better. Get stronger. Become more skilled at every aspect of your job. And while you're at it, recommit to strengthening personal relationships like never before.

3) SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE

To me, personal philosophy is as important as a good education. In other words, what you believe is at least as important as what you know. Often your beliefs are more important than your understandings. What you think about things - whether there is scarcity or abundance, whether there is loss or opportunity - is based on your philosophy.

And who you associate with plays a huge role in shaping your philosophy. The people in your life are like the weather... either sunny and pleasant, or cold and stormy. It's amazing to me how many people choose to live in a reality that is cold and stormy.

4) THERE IS OPPORTUNITY IN EVERY MARKET

I have been beating on this theme for two years... quite simply, it's the best first-time buyer / investor market in 15 years.

Want a deal that cash flows? Call me! Want to pay less for a mortage than you do in rent? Call me! Need $7,500 to fix up a foreclosure and make it your dream home? Call me! Want a 30-year fixed rate below 6%? Call me!

5) APPRECIATE WHAT YOU'VE GOT

There's a saying you'll hear around our household often, and it goes like this: "These are the good old days".

We've got our health. We've got our business. We've got friends and colleagues who are eager to refer us to their friends and colleagues. Our kids are doing well in school. Really, how much more do you need?

Yes, 2008 has been a challenging year. But I'd like to think that the end result is not of loss, but of gain... that we became better by leaning into the challenges that arose while others quit or left the business.

Don't with that things were easier. Wish that you were better.

And then make it so!