Sunday, April 13, 2008

I AM NOT A COMMODITY

I am not a commodity.

If I become one, I am dead.

For 14 years, my focus in this business has been on creating “degrees of separation” between myself and the 1.2 million other card-carrying members of NAR.

If you believe that all Realtors are the same… that you are paying 6% to get your property placed in the MLS with a sign in the front yard… that you are merely hiring someone to fill in the blanks in a contract too complex for most people to fully understand… you believe that Realtors are commodities.

If this is the case, you would be a fool to pay a 6% commission.

You are hiring an agent to do two things for you – market and negotiate. If we market and negotiate skillfully, you will get a solid offer in a reasonable period of time from a qualified buyer who can close as promised.

If we don’t, you’ll end up on the market for weeks… then months… and then when an offer finally does come along, you’ll leave thousands of dollars on the table and walk away feeling slighted and angry.

Because you hired a commodity to do the job of a professional.

My listing presentation includes a 71-point marketing plan. Seventy-one points... the most powerful and effective practices derived from 14 years of experience as a licensed broker.

• I belong to two MLS systems – not one. That’s an extra 19,000 agents looking at your home, at my expense.

• I pay for upgrades on Realtor.com, so your property has 25 photos (instead of one) and shows up first when people look at your neighborhood online.

• I take your listing and promote it at marketing meetings, in the community, before the chamber of commerce, before leads groups… I engage in ACTIVE marketing, which takes time and money.

• I utilize innovative commission strategies to get your home shown, even in a soft market.

• I provide staging consultations, at my expense.

• I do virtual tours, at my expense.

• I market with full color flyers, at my expense.

• I post your listing on scores of national websites like Zillow, Trulia, Google Base and ReMax.com (not to mention thousands of local IDX sites) which draw millions of visitors each month, at my expense.

My listings last year sold in an average of 44 days.

44 days.

The average here in Denver was 114.

Ultimately, the decision of who to list your home with is yours… as it should be.

But if you don’t take the time to educate yourself… to deeply understand what it is you are paying for… you’ll end up on the market (at least) 114 days, and when the offer comes, it will be lean and mean. You’re likely to leave money on the table, with frustration in your heart, because you thought that it didn’t matter who sold your home.

I am not a commodity.