Wednesday, May 21, 2014

WHAT GOES AROUND...

Over the weekend, I wrote my 27th failed offer of 2014. 

That, in a word, is unbelievable.  But it’s consistent with the great Denver Real Estate Rush of 2014, where record low inventory and a seemingly limitless pool of buyers has made Denver real estate the hottest thing going. 

But this story isn’t about the market.  It’s about agents.  And arrogance.  And reputations. 

In Kindergarten, most of us were taught the “golden rule”, which goes like this Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Somewhere along the line, over 30 or 40 or 50 years of living, most people forget this, and trade it in for the contemporary rendition of the “golden rule”, which goes like this:  He who has the gold makes the rules.

I like the first rule better than the second.

On Friday afternoon, I showed a new listing in the Berkeley area of Denver (red hot) and, of course, my clients liked it.  Okay, loved it.  So early Friday evening, we got together and wrote an offer. 

Now what that really means is that I spent an hour Friday showing them the house and taking video… then two more hours researching history, pulling comps, and writing a contract.  Then I called the agent (voicemail) and left a message asking if he had offers and if any kind of deadline had been set for “highest and best” submittals. 

Then I invested two more hours with my buyers Friday night (skipping yet another meal with my family and foregoing all other plans) driving to their house, reviewing the history of the home, formulating the offer and signing the contract documents.   

Then I drove back to my office and wrote a cover letter, got on the phone with the lender and obtained a pre-approval letter.  Then, finally, at 9:30 Friday night, I emailed a complete, competitive and thorough purchase offer off to the agent (with an escalator clause that would take us up to $10,000 over the list price).
 
Saturday morning at 8:30, I called to let him know we had submitted the offer.  Voicemail.

I followed that up with a text, asking him to confirm receipt of the offer.  No response.

Two hours later, I called again and left another message.  No response.

Two hours later, I texted again, asking him to confirm receipt and asking him to let us know if there was a time we could expect to hear something back.  He replied back an hour later, simply, “Multiple offers”. 

I picked up the phone and called again, wanting to explain the flexibility my clients had with closing dates, the strong qualifications of my buyers, and the criteria around the “escalator clause” we had included in our offer.  Voicemail.

By this time, it was pretty evident to me that this agent wasn’t interested in engaging with us.  As I said to my (financed) clients on Friday night, while we had written a very strong offer, the fact remains that “cash is king”, and if a similar cash offer was to show up, we were probably not going to be successful.

At 2:30, I took one last shot at reaching the elusive Mr. Multiple Offers.  Nothing. 

Finally, at 5 p.m., a text message flashed across my screen.  “Under Contract”.

And there it ended.  Thanks, buddy.

Now, submitting a well-written offer $10,000 over list price doesn’t automatically guarantee my clients are going to get the house.  It doesn’t even mean we are going to be countered.

But whether there were three offers, eight offers or 15 offers on this house, every single agent blew off other commitments and invested significant time in an attempt to deliver a good faith contract to this agent and his seller.  Regardless of whether you are going to work with us or not, pick up the phone (or send us a text) and acknowledge our efforts, dude.

Here’s what I know, based on 19 years in the business.  What goes around comes around. 

This is not the first time such a scenario has played out this year.  In fact, it’s pretty common.  There are lots of rude, arrogant, real estate brokers out there who don’t value anyone’s time but their own.  I can tell you many of their names.

When you take the time to write an offer on one of my listings, whether I have three offers or 30, I promise I am going to call and acknowledge your offer, and thank you for your time, and find out if there are any mitigating factors or other pieces of information that would be helpful for my seller to know when considering the offer your have submitted. 

I am also going to be respectful of the fact that most agents who are actually working skip meals, miss family engagements and have splintered social lives because of the high urgency nature of this market.   No matter what the market looks like, there is still a place for civility, respect and basic professional courtesy. 

When the market turns one day, and it will, all you will have is your reputation.  And that reputation will sustain you, or sink you.  Agents have long memories, and one day, the shoe will be on the other foot.